Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL corruption - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL corruption
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 9:21 PM, James Sewell <james.sewell@jirotech.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am working with a client who is facing issues with database corruption after a physical hard power off (the
machinesare at remote sites, this could be a power outage or user error).

> They have an environment made up of many of the following consumer grade stand alone machines:
>
> Windows 7 SP1
> PostgreSQL 9.2.4
> Integrated Raid Controller
>
> Managed by Intel Rapid Storage Technology
> RAID 1 over two disks
> Disk caching disabled
> Not battery backed
> Disk cache disabled

Some part of your OS or hardware is lying to postgres about fsyncs.
There are a few test suites out there that can test this independent
of postgresql btw, but it's been many years since I cranked one up.
Here's a web page from 2005 describing the problem and using a fsync
tester written in perl.

Try to see if you can get the same types of fsync errors out of your
hardware. If you can, stop, figure how to fix that, and then get back
in the game etc. Til then try not to lose power under load.