Re: Problem of LD_LIBRARY_PATH - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Problem of LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Rural Hunter <ruralhunter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I installed pg by the official one-click graphic
> installer(http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do). But ahh, when
> I tried to get an error message if I don't set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I found it's
> now working without this variable. The variable was added into my env for
> 9.1rc. If I don't add it I got this error:
> postgres@backup:~$ createuser
> createuser: error while loading shared libraries: liblber-2.3.so.0: cannot
>
> I searched net and found the solution to add LD_LIBRARY_PATH into env. but
> looks it's not needed any more in the final release. So my problem is
> resolved. Thank you all.

for future reference the other way to do it is to put an entry into
/etc/ld.so.conf and run sudo ldconfig to set it for the whole system.
For ubuntu I use packages from the PGDG repo or I build from source.
Having had to apply two patches to production in the past 3 years, I
now just build from source because it's so much easier and faster to
apply patches that way than to either way for the next release or
build my own.