Re: FP16 Support? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kohei KaiGai
Subject Re: FP16 Support?
Date
Re: FP16 Support?  (Kohei KaiGai <kaigai@heterodb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai@heterodb.com> wrote:
>> Any opinions?
>
> The only reason I can think of for having it in core is that you might
> want to use standard SQL notation FLOAT(10) to refer to it.  Right now
> our parser converts that to float4 but it could map precisions up to
> 10 to float2.  The need for such special treatment is one of my
> arguments for considering SQL:2016 DECFLOAT(n) in core PostgreSQL.
> But this case is different: FLOAT(10) already works, it just maps to a
> type with a larger significand, as permitted by the standard.  So why
> not just do these short floats as an extension type?

Our extension will be able to provide its own "half" or "float2" data type
using CREATE TYPE, indeed. I thought it is useful to other people, even
if they are not interested in the in-database analytics with GPU, to reduce
amount of storage consumption.

Of course, it is my opinion.

Thanks,
--