Re: Parallel query execution with SPI - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rafia Sabih
Subject Re: Parallel query execution with SPI
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Konstantin Knizhnik
> <k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>> It is possible to execute query concurrently using SPI?
>> If so, how it can be enforced?
>> I tried to open cursor with CURSOR_OPT_PARALLEL_OK flag but it doesn't help:
>> query is executed by single backend while the same query been launched at
>> top level uses parallel plan:
>>
>>     fsstate->portal = SPI_cursor_open_with_args(NULL, fsstate->query,
>> fsstate->numParams, argtypes, values, nulls, true, CURSOR_OPT_PARALLEL_OK);
>>     SPI_cursor_fetch(fsstate->portal, true, 1);
>
> Parallel execution isn't possible if you are using a cursor-type
> interface, because a parallel query can't be suspended and resumed
> like a non-parallel query.  If you use a function that executes the
> query to completion in one go, like SPI_execute_plan, then it's cool.
> See also commit 61c2e1a95f94bb904953a6281ce17a18ac38ee6d.
>
> --

Adding to that, for your case, passing CURSOR_OPT_PARALLEL_OK is not
enough, because PortalRun for the cursor would be having
portal->run_once set as false which restricts parallelism in
ExecutePlan,
if (!execute_once || dest->mydest == DestIntoRel) use_parallel_mode = false;

You may check [1] for the discussion on this.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAFiTN-vxhvvi-rMJFOxkGzNaQpf%2BKS76%2Bsu7-sG_NQZGRPJkQg%40mail.gmail.com#CAFiTN-vxhvvi-rMJFOxkGzNaQpf+KS76+su7-sG_NQZGRPJkQg@mail.gmail.com

--
Regards,