Re: [GENERAL] Postgres 9.6 Parallel Query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rafia Sabih
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Postgres 9.6 Parallel Query
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 6:38 PM, basti <mailinglist@unix-solution.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a recomment to set max_worker_processes and
> max_parallel_workers_per_gather per cpu core or thread?

This largely depends on what type of processing is done by parallel
workers, e.g. if the task is I/O bound then having workers equal to
h/w threads would be beneficial since less time will spent in CPU,
however if the task is CPU bound then workers more than cpu cores is
not likely to give much performance improvement as they'll be
contending for CPU cycles.

--
Regards,
Rafia Sabih