Re: Calling ROUND w/o a numeric cast blowing up all connections (9.1) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Wells Oliver
Subject Re: Calling ROUND w/o a numeric cast blowing up all connections (9.1)
Date
List pgsql-general
Ah, bananas. Someone had created a round(double, integer) function in
public that did some shenanigans. Now I've wasted everyone's time.

Though, I do find it odd that it could cause such a crash, bad function or
no.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Wells Oliver <wellsoliver@gmail.com> writes:
> > I don't know why this is happening, but it's infuriating. From the psql
> > prompt:
>
> > mydb=# select round(5/2, 1);
> > SSL SYSCALL error: EOF detected
>
> Huh.  Works for me ...
>
> > Nothing shows up in the log.
>
> Either your logging is broken or you're looking in the wrong log, I
> think, because that sure looks like a backend crash.  And the postmaster
> would certainly bleat about a backend crash.
>
> > Have I broken my cast function? My round function? Have I angered the
> RDMS
> > gods? Can anyone give me any pointers?
>
> Dunno, have you messed around with either casting or round()?  Can you
> reproduce this in a freshly-created database?
>
> FWIW, a stock database ought to have these versions of round():
>
> postgres=# \df round
>                           List of functions
>    Schema   | Name  | Result data type | Argument data types |  Type
>  pg_catalog | round | double precision | double precision    | normal
>  pg_catalog | round | numeric          | numeric             | normal
>  pg_catalog | round | numeric          | numeric, integer    | normal
> (3 rows)

Wells Oliver
wellsoliver@gmail.com