Re: Creating new cluster by copying directory? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Wells Oliver
Subject Re: Creating new cluster by copying directory?
Date
Re: Creating new cluster by copying directory?  ("Gilberto Castillo" <gilberto.castillo@etecsa.cu>)
Re: Creating new cluster by copying directory?  (Jerry Sievers <gsievers19@comcast.net>)
List pgsql-admin
So it's safe to copy the files in /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main to /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/test while main is running?

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Gilberto Castillo <gilberto.castillo@etecsa.cu> wrote:

> All: it would take ~4 hours to pg_restore a backup. I want to quickly
> create a duplicate cluster (for testing). My idea:
>
> 1. pg_ctlcreatecluster 9.1 test
> 2. rm /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/test/*
> 2. cp /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/test
> 3. pg_ctlcluster 9.1 test start
>
> Is this viable? If not, is there another way to create a duplicate cluster
> in a timely fashion?

Test Repmgr works with the same philosophy. ;-)

Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo
La Habana, Cuba

---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>

--
Wells Oliver
wellsoliver@gmail.com