Re: NAMEDATALEN increase because of non-latin languages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: NAMEDATALEN increase because of non-latin languages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 7:08 PM Денис Романенко <deromanenko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello dear hackers. I understand the position of the developers community about NAMEDATALEN length - and, in fact, 63
bytesis more than enough - but only if we speak about latin languages.

> Postgresql has wonderful support for unicode in table and column names. And it looks like very good idea to create
tablewith names on native language for databases across the world. But when I want to create, for example, table with
name"Catalog_Контрагенты_КонтактнаяИнформация" (that stands in Russian for catalog of counteragent contacts) it will be
auto-shrinkedto "Catalog_Контрагенты_КонтактнаяИнформ". And this is not a fictional problem - many words in Russian are
justlonger than it's English counterparts and I have many examples like this.

> Although recompiling the source is not so hard, updating is hard. I know that is not free for disk space because of
storingtable names and field names but, from my point of view, in 2021 year convenience is more important than disk
space.

Unfortunately, the problem isn't really the additional disk space it
would require.  The problem is the additional performance hit and
memory overhead, as the catalog names are part of the internal
syscache.

I understand your frustration, but given those problems I don't think
that postgres will increase the default NAMEDATALEN value any time
soon, even though it's in contradiction with the SQL standard.