Re: NAMEDATALEN increase because of non-latin languages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: NAMEDATALEN increase because of non-latin languages
Date
Re: NAMEDATALEN increase because of non-latin languages  (John Naylor <john.naylor@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: NAMEDATALEN increase because of non-latin languages  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 7:27 PM John Naylor
<john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 7:15 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, the problem isn't really the additional disk space it
> > would require.  The problem is the additional performance hit and
> > memory overhead, as the catalog names are part of the internal
> > syscache.
>
> Some actual numbers on recent hardware would show what kind of tradeoff is involved. No one has done that for a long
timethat I recall.

Agreed, but I don't have access to such hardware.  However this won't
influence the memory overhead part, and there is already frequent
problems with that, especially since declarative partitioning, so I
don't see how we could afford that without some kind of cache TTL or
similar.  AFAIR the last discussion about it a few years ago didn't
lead anywhere :(