Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb
Date
Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 4:10 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> writes:
> > - 0003 begins to be the actual fancy thing with the addition of a
> > --jobs option into reindexdb.  The main issue here which should be
> > discussed is that when it comes to reindex of tables, you basically
> > are not going to have any conflicts between the objects manipulated.
> > However if you wish to do a reindex on a set of indexes then things
> > get more tricky as it is necessary to list items per-table so as
> > multiple connections do not conflict with each other if attempting to
> > work on multiple indexes of the same table.  What this patch does is
> > to select the set of indexes which need to be worked on (see the
> > addition of cell in ParallelSlot), and then does a kind of
> > pre-planning of each item into the connection slots so as each
> > connection knows from the beginning which items it needs to process.
> > This is quite different from vacuumdb where a new item is distributed
> > only on a free connection from a unique list.  I'd personally prefer
> > if we keep the facility in parallel.c so as it is only
> > execution-dependent and that we have no pre-planning.  This would
> > require keeping within reindexdb.c an array of lists, with one list
> > corresponding to one connection instead which feels more natural.
>
> Couldn't we make this enormously simpler and less bug-prone by just
> dictating that --jobs applies only to reindex-table operations?

That would also mean that we'll have to fallback on doing reindex at
table-level, even if we only want to reindex indexes that depends on
glibc.  I'm afraid that this will often add a huge penalty.

> > - 0004 is the part where the concurrent additions really matter as
> > this consists in applying an extra filter to the indexes selected so
> > as only the glibc-sensitive indexes are chosen for the processing.
>
> I think you'd be better off to define and document this as "reindex
> only collation-sensitive indexes", without any particular reference
> to a reason why somebody might want to do that.

We should still document that indexes based on ICU would be exluded?
I also realize that I totally forgot to update reindexdb.sgml.  Sorry
about that, I'll fix with the next versions.