Re: problem about reindex - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: problem about reindex
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 8:06 PM liam saffioti <liam.saffiotti@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, the operating system was upgraded from RHEL 7.9 to 8.4.

After a quick check it seems that RHEL 7.X comes with glibc 2.17 and
RHEL 8?X comes with glibc 2.28.  So unfortunately all your indexes
using collatable datatypes are corrupted.  See
https://postgresql.verite.pro/blog/2018/08/27/glibc-upgrade.html for
more details.

> Does this mean that I will do reindex operation on all indexes in the system?

Only indexes using collatable datatypes.

> Or how can I detect corrupted indexes due to upgrade?

That's not easy, as you have to check all directly used columns, but
also expression and predicates.  You could use amcheck to detect
corrupted indexes, but it will be quite costly.

If you're not sure of how to do that, a database-wide REINDEX on each
database is safer.

> Also shouldn't it be seen in the log in case of corruption, like this  "ERROR: could not read block xxx in file".

Unfortunately no, because it's a "logical corruption", due to an
underlying ordering change.