Re: Confused About pg_* Tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Confused About pg_* Tables
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Carlos Mennens <carlos.mennens@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm confused about how I'm able to access the following pg_* tables
regardless of connected database. I thought these tables were hidden
or stored in the 'postgres' database but I'm still able to access this
data regardless of which database I'm connected to:

Code:

zoo=# SELECT * FROM pg_user;
 usename  | usesysid | usecreatedb | usesuper | usecatupd | userepl |
passwd  | valuntil | useconfig
----------+----------+-------------+----------+-----------+---------+----------+----------+-----------
 postgres |       10 | t           | t        | t         | t       |
******** |          |
 carlos   |    16384 | t           | t        | t         | t       |
******** |          |
(2 rows)

When I use my tab key in 'psql' after the 'FROM' statement, I'm
presented with a ton of what I presume to be tables however when I
check for tables in the 'postgres' database, I get nothing. I'm
confused...

Code:

psql (9.1.1, server 9.1.1)
You are now connected to database "postgres".
postgres=# \d
No relations found.

These objects are in the schema pg_catalog not public