Re: No default for (user-specific) service file location on Windows? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: No default for (user-specific) service file location on Windows?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 3:46 PM Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> wrote:

> The doc is explicit about defaults for the password file:
> From https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgpass.html
> Linux: ~/.pgpass
> Windows: %APPDATA%\postgresql\pgpass.conf
>
> But for the service file OTOH, only the Linux default is documented:
> From: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgservice.html
> Linux: ~/.pg_service.conf
> Windows: N/A
>
> I tried the obvious %APPDATA%\postgresql\pg_service.conf, with no luck.
>
> So is this a lack in the documentation for the service file?
> Or is it instead a lack of symmetry in the implementations of these
> two mechanisms?
>
> If the latter, any chance the symmetry would be restored? (with
> corresponding doc update).

As far as I can see from the code it should be
%APPDATA%\postgresql\.pg_service.conf

Does this one work?

There is a discrepancy (apart from the documentation) as the default
file name is the same on Linux and Windows.