Memory exhaustion on large query - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Brice André
Subject Memory exhaustion on large query
Date
Re: Memory exhaustion on large query  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
Hello,

I am using postgresql 13, on debian server. I use libpq to interface my DB. On some queries, my program is using so much memory that the application crashes.

I use libpq in asynchronous mode to avoid this problem, but the memory is consumed in the PQsendQueryPrepared call, before I invoke the first time PQgetResult

I copy-pasted the query that causes the trouble here under. My table has an index that should be usable for the query 'including the "ORDER BY" clause:
CREATE INDEX "ConfigurableWindowTableDataBuffer_last_modified_index" ON "ConfigurableWindowTableDataBufferInternal" USING btree ("DbSyncLastModifiedBackupVersion", "DbSyncLastModifiedTimeStamp")

And an EXPLAIN on the query shows that the planner uses this index:
Index Scan using "ConfigurableWindowTableDataBuffer_last_modified_index" on "ConfigurableWindowTableDataBufferInternal"  (cost=0.54..2870.78 rows=14059 width=510)
  Index Cond: (("DbSyncLastModifiedBackupVersion" = "DbSyncGetBackupVersion"()) AND ("DbSyncLastModifiedTimeStamp" > 0))

The content of the table is so huge that, if PQsendQueryPrepared retrieves all data, or if postgresql engine is creating temp file with all data, the query cannot succeed (I have no enough RAM or disk space to copy the whole data). But I was expecting that using PQsendQueryPrepared and PQgetResult would avoid this by returning one result at a time.

Any idea of what is going wrong ? Or on how I could correct my query to avoid this ?

Note that basically, what I want to do is retrieve each record at a time, and send its content on an open TCP connection. I am hoping to be allowed to do that without requiring to have RAM or disk space to temporarily store all data that needs to be sent.

Many thanks,
Brice

SELECT "DbSyncID","DbSyncInsertedBackupVersion","DbSyncInsertedClientUniqueId","DbSyncInsertedClientEntryId","DbSyncDeleted","DbSyncRemovedFromServer","DbSyncLastModifiedBackupVersion","DbSyncLastModifiedTimeStamp","DbSyncFKBackupVersion","DbSyncFKClientUniqueId","DbSyncFKClientEntryId","TableDataID_BV","TableDataID_CID","TableDataID_CEID","TableId","SubTableId","BufferEntries_0" FROM "ConfigurableWindowTableDataBufferSync" WHERE "DbSyncLastModifiedBackupVersion"="DbSyncGetBackupVersion"() AND "DbSyncLastModifiedTimeStamp" > 0 ORDER BY "DbSyncLastModifiedTimeStamp" ASC