Re: regclass and format('%I') - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Dusek
Subject Re: regclass and format('%I')
Date
Re: regclass and format('%I')  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: regclass and format('%I')  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
It honestly seems far more reasonable to me that %s and %I should do
the exact same thing with regclass. My reasoning is as follows:

‘%I’ formats a something such that it is a valid identifier,

regclass is already a valid identifier,

therefore, do nothing.

Another line of reasoning:

If you format with ‘%s’ you are saying: I don’t care whether it’s a
valid identifier or literal or whatever, just put the string there,

but when we sub a regclass into a string, we want it to be a valid identifier,

therefore we should write ‘%I’ when subbing it, so as not to confuse
our readers,

therefore ‘%I’ should do nothing.