Drill-downs and OLAP type data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anthony Presley
Subject Drill-downs and OLAP type data
Date
Re: Drill-downs and OLAP type data  (Filip Rembiałkowski <plk.zuber@gmail.com>)
Re: Drill-downs and OLAP type data  (Ondrej Ivanič <ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi there!

We have a typical data-warehouse type application, and we'd like to set up a star-schema type data analysis software product (which we'll be programming), on top of PG.  The goal is to do fast roll-up, drill-down, and drill-through of objects / tables like locations, inventory items, and sales volume.

After a few weeks of searching around, we're running into dead-ends on the front-end, and the back-end.  PG doesn't support OLAP / MDX .... and the GUI tools that do this, for the most part, require MDX / OLAP (SPSS and DB2, MS SQL Analytics, etc...).

What's the PG route here?  Are there some secrets / tips / tricks / contrib modules for handling this?

--
Anthony Presley