Re: Cache lookup failed for relation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Péter Kovács
Subject Re: Cache lookup failed for relation
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you, Tom!

Recently, as I wanted to drop a schema (PG 8.2), I had to wade through a number of such messages and keep dropping rows in the pg_dependency table with the OID specified in the messages. When I was finally able to drop the schema, I wanted to drop the user (who previously owned the schema), but I got the same message again. I can imagine that something may have gone wrong in the schema at the application level, but how come I am getting the same messages when trying to drop a user?

Thanks,

Peter

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Péter Kovács <peter.dunay.kovacs@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm confused by the error message. Is a cache miss an error condition?

Well, this isn't a "cache miss", it's more of a "there's no such OID in
the pg_class catalog" condition.  Normally you see something more
user-friendly; but in the case of going to remove a cross-table linkage,
the code isn't expecting the other table to not be there, so you get a
pretty low-level error.

                        regards, tom lane