Re: Load a csv or a avro? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Load a csv or a avro?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 5, 2024 at 5:08 AM sud <suds1434@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

Its postgres database. We have option of getting files in csv and/or in avro format messages from another system to load it into our postgres database. The volume will be 300million messages per day across many files in batches.

My question was, which format should we chose in regards to faster data loading performance ?

What application will be loading the data?   If psql, then go with CSV; COPY is really efficient.

If the PG tables are already mapped to the avro format, then maybe avro will be faster.

and if any other aspects to it also should be considered apart from just loading performance?

If all the data comes in at night, drop as many indices as possible before loading.

Load each file in as few DB connections as possible: the most efficient binary format won't do you any good if you open and close a connection for each and every row.