Re: storing an explicit nonce - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ants Aasma
Subject Re: storing an explicit nonce
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 02:20, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 12:48:51AM +0300, Ants Aasma wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 00:25, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:21:28PM +0300, Ants Aasma wrote:
>     > Page encrypting to all zeros is for all practical purposes impossible to
>     hit.
>     > Basically an attacker would have to be able to arbitrarily set the whole
>     > contents of the page and they would then achieve that this page gets
>     ignored.
>
>     Uh, how do we know that valid data can't produce an encrypted all-zero
>     page?
>

> Because the chances of that happening by accident are equivalent to making a
> series of commits to postgres and ending up with the same git commit hash 400
> times in a row.

Yes, 256^8192 is 1e+19728, but why not just assume a page LSN=0 is an
empty page, and if not, an error?  Seems easier than checking if each
page contains all zeros every time.

We already check it anyway, see PageIsVerifiedExtended().

--
Ants Aasma
Senior Database Engineer