Why is there no object create date is the catalogs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Why is there no object create date is the catalogs?
Date
Re: Why is there no object create date is the catalogs?  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Re: Why is there no object create date is the catalogs?  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general

Can anyone tell me why there is no "relcreated" column in pg_class to track the creation date of an object?

It seems to me it would make sense to have one as it would facilitate auditing of when objects are created. In addition, it would also facilitate the dropping of objects that have exceeded a certain age.

EG: SELECT 'DELETE TABLE ' || relname || ';'
      FROM pg_class
     WHERE relkind = 'r'
       AND relcreated > current_timestamp - INTERVAL ' 1 year';

Adding that column should be relatively easy and would not break backwards compatiblity with previous versions.
--
Melvin Davidson