Re: [v10] CREATE TEMP FUNCTION/CREATE FUNCTION PG_TEMP.X - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Re: [v10] CREATE TEMP FUNCTION/CREATE FUNCTION PG_TEMP.X
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo.romano@notorand.it> wrote:
> Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo.romano@notorand.it> writes:
>>> You have to schema-qualify the temp function name when calling it, too.
>
>> So search_path is not used with functions?
>
> pg_temp is explicitly ignored when searching for functions/operators.
> Otherwise, installing a trojan horse is just too easy.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

I'm not sure whether this decision actually makes PG more scure.
But, anyway, thanks for the insight: I've just found the
documentations for this.

--
Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
Information Technologies

Aside from the simple explanations you have received, I question your justification for even having a temporary function.
Functions are only entries in the system catalogs and as such, take up just a tiny amount of physical space. In addition,
if you ever need it again, you will have to expend time recreating it. Why not just once and keep it?

--
Melvin Davidson