Re: Distributed Table Partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Re: Distributed Table Partitioning
Date
List pgsql-general
I guess that would work if you used a view to combine both tables, but you would still need a BEFORE trigger to make sure DML goes to the appropriate table.
Another solution might be to use dblink if you need to access the SATA table on the 2nd VPS,

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Leonardo M. Ramé <l.rame@griensu.com> wrote:
El 13/03/16 a las 10:04, Peter J. Holzer escribió:
On 2016-03-12 21:19:11 -0500, Melvin Davidson wrote:
     ----- Original Message -----
     From: "Leonardo M. Ramé" <l.rame@griensu.com>
     To: "PostgreSql-general" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
     Sent: Saturday, 12 March, 2016 8:25:01 PM
     Subject: [GENERAL] Distributed Table Partitioning

     I have this problem: a Master table containing records with a timestamp
     column registering creation date-time, and one Detail table containing
     info related to the Master table.

     As time went by, those tables grew enormously, and I can't afford
     expanding my SSD VPS. So I'm thinking about storing only NEW data into
     it, and move OLD data to a cheaper SATA VPS.
[...]
Why don't you just make use of tablespaces and partition the child tablespaces
so that the newer parttion is on the SSD and the older one is on SATA?

Since he mentioned virtual private servers (VPS) the reason might be
that his hoster offers VPS with SSDs (of various sizes) and VPS with
rotating hard disks (of various sizes), but not VPS with both. So he
can't rent a VPS with a relatively small SSD and a larger hard disk.

That might be a reason to look for an alternate hoster, but if he's
otherwise happy, switching to an unknown provider might be considered
too large a risk.

         hp

Yes, Peter is right, I must store one table in one VPS and the other in a 2nd VPS.

I'm thinking of partitioning the table, on local and the remote using a Foreign Data Wrapper, what do you think about this approach?.