Re: does pg_dump get delayed if I have a loop that does continuous insertions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Re: does pg_dump get delayed if I have a loop that does continuous insertions
Date
List pgsql-general
>Probably not a good idea to put your data in the postgres database. This is one of the system databases created by >initdb and is meant to be used as a default database to connect to, not really as one to store data in. Just did a test >with pg_dumpall and it is not dumped when you backup the entire cluster.

This statement is not entirely accurate. Although I agree it is a good idea to have a separate named database for each "application"pg_dumpall does not add a "CREATE DATABASE postgres;" to the dump file because pg_restore expects that the postgres database already exists. However, all objects in the postgres database are dumped and will be restored. This can be verified because you can do a "grep 'connect postgres' <your_pg_dump_file" and it will be found, as are any object in the postgres database..

On 2015-10-28 14:09, anj patnaik wrote:

> Also, I want to know if anyone has found any handy cron scripts for automated
> backups to run on a daily/weekly basis? i found some on google, but interested
> to know if there are better ones.

It does a lot more but:
  https://github.com/wal-e/wal-e

--