Re: pg_dump system catalog - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Re: pg_dump system catalog
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 11/28/2016 03:40 AM, Juliano wrote:
I'm not knew that system catalogs could be saved as schema, thanks
Achilleas.

So, I would like to get the data and the schema of the system catalogs.
How can I include the data in a dump file with system schemas? (The
parameter -a makes sense together the parameter --schema?)

No.

Use Achilleas's command and see what happens.

Regards,
Juliano

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

To clarify, you cannot dump the pg_catalog schema. It is the main control of how all other objects are
stored in the cluster. There is no point in dumping it and all it's tables and views are already clearly
documented.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/catalogs.html

pg_catalog itself is generated with the initdb command when a new postgresql cluster is generated.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/creating-cluster.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/app-initdb.html

--
Melvin Davidson