Re: Add relcreated (timestamp) column to pg_class catalog to record the time an object was created - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Re: Add relcreated (timestamp) column to pg_class catalog to record the time an object was created
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 04/21/2016 07:30 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

"Just one example of why that assertion does not hold:"

I fail to see your point

"That is easy. Compare dumps of the current schema against the
official schema."

So your solution is to do a dump and then grep for anomalies? How is
that faster than just querying for recently created objects, or objects
created at odd days/hours (weekends/early moring)?

You seem to be spending all of your time finding exemptions rather than
understanding the benefit. So what is your point? That it is not
worthwhile because there are a few cases where it might not work?

The point is that simple is simple, it is dealing with the exceptions/corner cases/etc that things get complex. While an individual user may want only simple, the developers have to think about the user community as a whole and that is where the complexity comes in. Whether that is worthy or not is the point of your request and really depends on more input.

--
*Melvin Davidson*

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

"Whether that is worthy or not is the point of your request and really depends on more input."
Correct. And that is what I am looking for. Stating obscure corner cases does not rule out the need for an enhancement. If it did, there would be no point in any enhancement.
As of yet, other than this will not work for certain cases, I have not heard any argument where this would cause harm to the PostgreSQL database (performance or security concern)
or that this will take any great effort to implement, as I have already disproved that in a previous update.

--
Melvin Davidson