Re: Monitoring Replication - Postgres 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Re: Monitoring Replication - Postgres 9.2
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 8:55 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
On 11/29/2016 5:40 PM, Patrick B wrote:

Can't I do it on the DB size? Using a trigger maybe? instead of using Cron?

triggers are only called on database events like insert, update, select.   even something like the pgagent scheduler thats frequently bundled with pgadmin uses cron to run its master time process, which checks to see if there are any pending pgagent jobs and invokes them.

for a every-minute event, i wouldn't use cron, I would write a little script/application in something like perl or python, which keeps persistent connections open, samples your data, inserts it, and sleeps til the next minute then repeats.     running it from cron would require multiple process forks every sample, which is fairly expensive.

There is no reason you can't execute a cron job on production to a remote db.

eg:
contents of cron
*/5 * * * *      psql -U postgres -h 123.4.56.789 -d remote_db_name -f /path_to/exec.sql

contents of exec.sql
==========================
INSERT INTO your_table
  SELECT now(),