Re: Pagination count strategies - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dorian Hoxha
Subject Re: Pagination count strategies
Date
List pgsql-general
Cache the total ?

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Leonardo M. Ramé <l.rame@griensu.com> wrote:
Hi, in one of our systems, we added a kind of pagination feature, that
shows N records of Total records.

To do this, we added a "count(*) over() as Total" field in our queries
in replacement of doing two queries, one for fetching the records, and
other for getting the count. This improved the performance, but we are't
happy with the results yet, by removing the count, the query takes
200ms vs 2000ms with it.

We are thinking of removing the count, but if we do that, the system
will lack an interesting feature.

What strategy for showing the total number of records returned do you
recommend?.

Regards,
--
Leonardo M. Ramé