Re: losing my mind about sytnax error in window clause - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ben Tilly
Subject Re: losing my mind about sytnax error in window clause
Date
List pgsql-sql
I have a working solution to this, BUT there is enough overhead in user defined functions that it didn't perform well in practice for me.  Figuring out how to create temporary tables then join them cleverly worked out better.  However you'd just have to rewrite your FILTER lines as something like last_value_when( cost, cost is not null ) over w.

Pity, because if this performed well, it would be really convenient for some work I was doing...

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.last_value_when_sfunc(state anyelement, value anyelement, cond BOOL) RETURNS anyelement AS
$$
    SELECT CASE WHEN cond THEN value ELSE state END;
$$
LANGUAGE SQL;

COMMENT ON FUNCTION public.last_value_when_sfunc (anyelement, anyelement, bool) IS 'Helper function for tracking last matching in window';

DO
$$
BEGIN
    IF 0 < (SELECT count(*)
            FROM pg_proc p
                LEFT JOIN pg_namespace n
                    ON p.pronamespace = n.oid
            WHERE n.nspname = 'public' AND p.proname = 'last_value_when')
    THEN
        DROP AGGREGATE public.last_value_when(anyelement, bool);
    END IF;
END
$$
language 'plpgsql';

CREATE AGGREGATE public.last_value_when(anyelement, bool) (
    SFUNC = public.last_value_when_sfunc,
    STYPE = anyelement);

COMMENT ON AGGREGATE public.last_value_when (anyelement, bool) IS 'Aggregate function for tracking the last value when a condition was true';