Re: pgbouncer setup in the architecture - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gabriele Lohss
Subject Re: pgbouncer setup in the architecture
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
I'd like to add to my former mail that currently I have got pgbouncer running and I can connect to the underlying postgres database servers, but how can I access the pgbouncer database when I'm not running a postgres server on the VM where the pgbouncer is installed? In all the forums and documentation the only case described is accessing the pgbouncer database on the localhost.

Thanks for any advice or hints,
Gaby

Hi,

thanks, you're right. My description wasn't very concrete. Our current set up is a single pgbouncer instance running on a VM in the same network like the webapplications. The database servers are in another firewall protected network. So the pgbouncer is now running on a standalone VM. I was wondering if this setup is a propper solution, but I guess we still have to test the perfomance.
Until now I always installed pgbouncer on a already existing database server and the basic configuration was quite easy. When running on a central VM separate to the database its is connecting too, is it necessary to have a running postgresql instance on this VM too? I want to connect to the pgbouncer database as well, but therefor I need a postgresql database server, right? Or do I just need the client packages?

Thanks for the help,
Gaby