Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Yuriy Zhuravlev
Subject Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Geoff!

About cmake:
1. You can still use the binary build for your system.
2. You can still build Postgres from source and with old gcc, you need only install cmake (it's very easy) Only most modern versions of CMake depend on modern gcc. I have good experience with old Solaris and AIX. (I mean build Postgres by current cmake branch).
3. You can try and put your impressions on issue tracker on github.

Thanks.

I'd like to add my 2c that, as a user who has to support postgres running on some fairly old systems, changing to a modern build mechanism (with all the resultant dependency hell that it would likely introduce) would be likely to cause me much grief.

At the moment I can still log in to the old RH Shrike box I keep specifically for building for older systems (it does admittedly have a more recent gcc, but even building that was a trial) and build Postgres from source. Unless I've misunderstood I strongly doubt that would still be the case with the changes being discussed here.

Geoff

On Tue, 1 May 2018 at 17:19, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 5:46 AM, Hartmut Holzgraefe
<hartmut.holzgraefe@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could probably continue with this brain dump forever, ...

I found your brain dump an interesting read, and I have to say that it
leaves me rather uninspired about making a change.  It sounds to me
like if we change, some things will be better and others will not be
as good.  The good news is that if we decide to change, it sounds like
we won't be a lot worse off than we are today.  The bad news is that
it doesn't sound like we'll be a lot better off, either.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company