Re: pg_ctl start may return 0 even if the postmaster has been already started on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shlok Kyal
Subject Re: pg_ctl start may return 0 even if the postmaster has been already started on Windows
Date
In response to RE: pg_ctl start may return 0 even if the postmaster has been already started on Windows  ("Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 at 11:38, Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Dear Horiguchi-san,
>
> Thank you for making a patch! They can pass ci.
> I'm still not sure what should be, but I can respond a part.
>
> > Another issue is.. that I haven't been able to cause the false
> > positive of pg_ctl start..  Do you have a concise reproducer of the
> > issue?
>
> I found a short sleep in pg_ctl/t/001_start_stop.pl. This was introduced in
> 6bcce2580 to ensure waiting more than 2 seconds. I've tested on my CI and
> found that removing the sleep can trigger the failure. Also, I confirmed your patch
> fixes the problem. PSA the small patch for cfbot. 0001 and 0002 were not changed.

I have tested the patches on my windows setup.
I am trying to start two postgres servers with an interval of 5 secs.

with HEAD (when same server is started after an interval of 5 secs):
D:\project\pg\bin>pg_ctl -D ../data -l data2.log start
pg_ctl: another server might be running; trying to start server anyway
waiting for server to start.... stopped waiting
pg_ctl: could not start server
Examine the log output.

with Patch:(when same server is started after an interval of 5 secs)
D:\project\pg_dev\bin>pg_ctl -D ../data -l data2.log start
pg_ctl: another server might be running; trying to start server anyway
waiting for server to start....pg_ctl: launcher shell died

The output message after patch is different from the HEAD. I felt that
with patch as well we should get the message  "pg_ctl: could not start
server".
Is this message change intentional?

Thanks,
Shlok Kumar Kyal