Re: Role Authentication Failure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Role Authentication Failure
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Carlos Mennens <carlos.mennens@gmail.com> wrote:
I can't understand what is going on with my PostgreSQL server. For
some reason after I GRANT my role 'carlos' to the 'dba' group role, I
lose the ability to login. I've reset the password over and over for
'carlos' and even reversing the grant doesn't remedy the
authentication failure. The logs are extremely vague:

2013-04-14 00:41:52 EDT FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "carlos"

How are you doing the above, via psql. pgAdmin, other or some combination?
Do you have a .pgpass file set up?

As you can see I've removed 'dba' role from 'carlos' but he still
can't login. My only option is to DROP the 'carlos' role and re-create
him.

The problem occurs when I:

GRANT dba TO carlos;

I don't understand which role (carlos or dba) needs INHERIT or
NOINHERIT if that's causing this...

--
Carlos Mennens