Re: Damage control for planner's get_actual_variable_endpoint() runaway - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Damage control for planner's get_actual_variable_endpoint() runaway
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 15:23, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > A hard limit on the number of index pages examined seems like it
> > > might be a good idea.
> >
> > Good, that is what the patch does.
>
> <looks at patch>
>
> Oh, that's surprisingly simple. Nice!
>
> Is there any reason to tie this into page costs? I'd be more inclined
> to just make it a hard limit on the number of pages. I think that
> would be more predictable and less prone to surprising (bad) behavior.
> And to be honest I would be inclined to make it quite a small number.
> Perhaps 5 or 10. Is there a good argument for going any higher?

+1, that makes the patch smaller and the behavior more predictable.

(Just didn't want to do anything too simple, in case it looked like a kluge.)

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/