Re: psql: Add command to use extended query protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: psql: Add command to use extended query protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 28 Oct 2022 at 07:53, Peter Eisentraut

> This adds a new psql command \gp that works like \g (or semicolon) but
> uses the extended query protocol.  Parameters can also be passed, like
>
>      SELECT $1, $2 \gp 'foo' 'bar'

+1 for the concept. The patch looks simple and complete.

I find it strange to use it the way you have shown above, i.e. \gp on
same line after a query.

For me it would be clearer to have tests and docs showing this
  SELECT $1, $2
  \gp 'foo' 'bar'

> Perhaps this would also be useful for general psql scripting.

...since if we used this in a script, it would be used like this, I think...

  SELECT $1, $2
  \gp 'foo' 'bar'
  \gp 'bar' 'baz'

Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/