Re: Lowering the ever-growing heap->pd_lower - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Lowering the ever-growing heap->pd_lower
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 at 17:15, Matthias van de Meent
<boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> and further future optimizations might include
>
> - Full-page WAL logging of empty pages produced in the checkpointer
> could potentially be optimized to only log 'it's an empty page'
> instead of writing out the full 8kb page, which would help in reducing
> WAL volume. Previously this optimization would never be hit on
> heapam-pages because pages could not become empty again, but right now
> this has real potential for applying an optimization.

So what you are saying is your small change will cause multiple
additional FPIs in WAL. I don't call that a future optimization, I
call that essential additional work.

+1 on committing the first part of the patch, -1 on the second. I
suggest you split the patch and investigate the second part further.

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/