Re: Does psqlODBC actually work on osx? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Brian Panulla
Subject Re: Does psqlODBC actually work on osx?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
We use psqlODBC daily on OS X, on a mix of Mountain Lion and Mavericks machines for a fair amount of development activity, and have for a couple of years now. I maintain (somewhat haphazardly) the MacPorts port for psqlODBC. Which reminds me I should probably push the latest version. ;)

So, yes, it most definitely works on OS X.

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Malcolm MacLeod <malcolm.macleod@tshwanedje.com> wrote:

> >> What is the exact error message you are getting?
> >> Are you connecting from within the same network as your Linux machine?
> >> Just trying to eliminate the possibility that it is a pg_hba.conf issue.
> > All on same internal network.
> > Server 10.0.0.3, working machine(s) 10.0.0.24, 10.0.0.25 etc. broken
> > machine 10.0.0.26
> > I've tried also setting the pg_hba.conf to 'trust' and even then it
> > doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > Various config info and traces below.
> >

> > Snippet from configuration (Although I've played with various other
> > options SSLmode etc. here as well)
> >
> > [test]
> > Driver=psqlODBC
> > Server=10.0.0.3
> > Database=todo
> > Username=postgres
> > Password=postgres13
> >

> > iodbctestw error messsage:
> > 1: SQLDriverConnectW = FATAL: password authentication failed for user
> > "postgres" (210) SQLSTATE=28P01
> Well it is not liking that password.
I can connect using the exact same password from the exact same machine
using pgadmin directly, as well as from multiple (non osx) machines
using it also.
Occams razor tells me that it is far more likely that psqlodbcw.so has
some or other issue than that the password somehow has something wrong
with it or that I am suddenly incapable of doing basic configurations
correctly. I would love to be wrong and find out that it is a
configuration issue as that would solve a lot of headaches but I just
don't see where or how it could be possible.

> Are you sure you do not have conflicting configurations?
Yes, this is a fresh snow leopard install on which I have install postgres, iodbc administrator and nothing else.
Also changing various settings e.g. SSL in the config file change the
behavior of iodbctest thus indicating that this is where it is looking.

> What file is the configuration you show above coming from?
/Library/ODBC/odbc.ini
- Which is the only odbc.ini file in existence on the machine, all other
odbc.ini and .odbc.ini have been deleted, and I have only put
configuration into this one file.

> What is in your odbc.ini file?
Exactly what I posted above plus the below for tracing:
[ODBC]
Trace=1
TraceFile=/Users/test/odbc.log

> How are you running the test configuration?
iodbctestw "DSN=test;UID=postgres;PWD=postgres13" and various similar
incantations e.g. with the user and password left out...
Also the test button in iODBC administrator

> Looking into the postmaster log to see what it logged about this might
> prove informative.  It's not unusual for the log to contain info
> that's
> intentionally not reported to the client.
2014-11-04 18:26:07 CAT FATAL   password authentication failed for user
"postgres"
2014-11-04 18:26:07 CAT DETAIL  Connection matched pg_hba.conf line 81:
"host    all             all             10.0.0.0/24             md5"

Thats all of interest that postmaster has to say.
i.e. the password is wrong, except of course this is obviously not the
case. I doubt the server is lying about this, so I'm pretty sure that
the blame lies with psqlODBC (or with libiodbc and/or the interface
between the two).
Could it be incorrectly passing the UTF32 (or is it 16?) password to a
UTF8 system/iodbc call or similar thereby corrupting the password?
I find it hard to believe that something this fundamental could be
wrong/broken but I don't know what else to think - which is why I ask if
anyone can verify having actually ever used psqlODBCw on osx recently
without issue...

Thanks,
Malcolm MacLeod