Re: Proper relational database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond Brinzer
Subject Re: Proper relational database?
Date
List pgsql-general
Well, this hits very close to my feelings in several respects.  I
don't often bring this up, because I don't generally feel like "I
loathe SQL" is quite the thing to say in a community called
"PostgreSQL".  :-)  Or, "I really love this project... can we change
its direction entirely?"

But yeah, that's in my heart. And I'm quite in agreement on NoSQL. I
don't think a lot of people realize there *is* a difference between
"relational" and SQL, so the baby goes out with the bathwater.

As it just so happens, I actually hacked a Scheme interpreter into the
PostgreSQL parser, and got it to interpret incoming messages, with
virtually the same idea. I started messing with generating SQL from
S-expressions, with the idea to perhaps call query-building functions
later on.  I started off with Chibi Scheme, and moved to Chicken later
on, mostly because the folks in the Chicken IRC channel are so
helpful.  I was wondering whether PostgreSQL might consider supporting
alternative query languages, similar to the way it supports multiple
languages for stored procedures.  Ideally, it'd be nice to get the
query results as S-expressions also.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Guyren Howe <guyren@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone familiar with the issue would have to say that the tech world would be a significantly better place if IBM had
developeda real relational database with an elegant query language rather than the awful camel of a thing that is SQL.

> If I had a few $million to spend in a philanthropical manner, I would hire some of the best PG devs to develop a
properrelational database server. Probably a query language that expressed the relational algebra in a scheme-like
syntax,and the storage model would be properly relational (eg no duplicate rows).

> It's an enormous tragedy that all the development effort that has gone into NoSQL database has pretty much all gotten
itwrong: by all means throw out SQL, but not the relational model with it. They're all just rehashing the debate over
hierarchicalstorage from the 70s. Comp Sci courses should feature a history class.