Question about provides lines in spec for postgresqlXX-* - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From ..: Mark Sloan :..
Subject Question about provides lines in spec for postgresqlXX-*
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi Jeff / Devrim / (whoever is reading this)

Once again thanks for all the great work with the yum repo!

question.

In the spec files for postgresql-X.X, I see:

Provides:       postgresql
Provides:       postgresql-server
Provides:       postgresql-libs
...etc

is there a reason not to use:

Provides:    postgresql = %{version}-%{release}
Provides:    libpq.so = %{version}-%{release}
Provides:    postgresql-libs = %{version}-%{release}
Provides:    postgresql-server = %{version}-%{release}
...etc

I ask because using
Provides:       postgresql
Provides:       postgresql-server
Provides:       postgresql-libs

does a virtual capability with no associated version, and that will satisfy *any* version. (odd quirk of RPM; IMO )

so if someone writes a requires of
postgresql >= 9.2 and PGDG rpm of 9.0 or 9.1 will satisfy the dependency for RPM because of the virutal dep.

I don't think people should have to write their requires lines to
postgresql92-server   because then 9.3 won't satisfy that requires but it might be acceptable for that package.

(also a friendly nudge to update ip4r builds for a bug fix provided in yum.postgresql.org)

thanks for looking at this,

..: Mark