Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date
Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum  (John Naylor <johncnaylorls@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 9:54 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you! I've attached the patch that I'm going to push tomorrow.

Excellent!

I've attached a mostly-polished update on runtime embeddable values,
storing up to 3 offsets in the child pointer (1 on 32-bit platforms).
As discussed, this includes a macro to cap max possible offset that
can be stored in the bitmap, which I believe only reduces the valid
offset range for 32kB pages on 32-bit platforms. Even there, it allows
for more line pointers than can possibly be useful. It also splits
into two parts for readability. It would be committed in two pieces as
well, since they are independently useful.

Attachment