Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Payal Singh
Subject Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes
Date
List pgsql-admin
you can query the context value of the particular setting in pg_settings table. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/view-pg-settings.html

Payal Singh,
Junior Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Strahinja Kustudić <strahinjak@nordeus.com> wrote:
I am automating Postgres deployment on Linux and I need to check if Postgres needs to be restarted when a configuration parameter that requires a restart changes, e.g. when you change wal_level. Is there a way to detect a parameter which requires a restart was changed?

Reading the log file after sending SIGHUP is not possible to automate. I know I can query pg_settings and then compare relevant parameters from the conf file, but that means I will need to check all parameters which I set and which require a restart. I only need to know if postgres requires a restart.

Strahinja Kustudić