Re: [ADMIN] postgresql9.4 aws - no pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Payal Singh
Subject Re: [ADMIN] postgresql9.4 aws - no pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-admin
But i came to know that there is no pg_upgrade binary available from amazon repositories.

Just for future reference, you don't *have* to use a packaged version of pg_upgrade. You could compile postgres binaries from source in a temp location, use that pg_upgrade to upgrade your database, and then remove the compiled folder and use the packaged binaries to manage the new cluster.

i want to upgrade my current aws ec2 postgresql9.3 to AWS RDS 9.4 server.

Probably better to move to 9.6 at this point, or 10.1(which will be releasing soon)

Payal

Payal Singh,
Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

i want to upgrade my current aws ec2 postgresql9.3 to AWS RDS 9.4 server.
so i would like to use pg_upgrade feature to convert 9.3 to 9.4 within EC2 instance for using amazon DMS (database migration service) utility. But i came to know that there is no pg_upgrade binary available from amazon repositories. Taking pg_dump from EC2 instance to RDS will take longer time, as our DB size is 300GB. Is there a way with less downtime for migrating existing EC2 9.3 to RDS?

Thanks
Balaji Jayaraman