Re: [BUGS] Altering a table with a rowtype column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Blackwell
Subject Re: [BUGS] Altering a table with a rowtype column
Date
List pgsql-general
Not a bad idea.  I'd need to convert existing data, but it'd be an excuse to try out hstore. ^_^

Mike

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:08, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On a practical level, the error blocks nothing -- you can bypass it
> trivially.   It's just an annoyance that prevents things that users
> would like to be able to do with table row types.  So I'd argue to
> remove the check, although I can kinda see the argument that it's not
> a bug unless the check was recently introduced so that it broke older
> code.

The behavior hasn't changed since at least as far back as 8.1, so
you're correct (once again) -- not a bug.  I'm really surprised I
haven't already bumped into this.  I usually don't mix
tables-as-storage with tables-as-composites though.

Mike, on 9.1, you'll probably get more mileage out of using the hstore
type for row storage if you want to do auditing in that style.

merlin