Re: Is it possible to have a "fast-write" Index? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Is it possible to have a "fast-write" Index?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5 June 2015 at 18:07, deavid <deavidsedice@gmail.com> wrote:
There are several use cases where I see useful an index, but adding it will slow too much inserts and updates.
For example, when we have 10 million rows on a table, and it's a table which has frequent updates, we need several index to speed up selects, but then we'll slow down updates a lot, specially when we have 10 or more indexes.
Other cases involve indexes for text search, which are used only for user search and aren't that important, so we want to have them, but we don't want the overload they put whenever we write on the table.
I know different approaches that already solve some of those problems in some ways (table partitioning, partial indexes, etc), but i don't feel they are the solution to every problem of this kind.

Some people already asked for "delayed write" indexes, but the idea gets discarded because the index could get out of sync, so it can omit results and this is unacceptable. But i think maybe that could be fixed in several ways and we can have a fast and reliable index (but maybe not so fast on selects).

This is exactly the use case and mechanism for BRIN indexes.