Re: Extension upgrade and GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Extension upgrade and GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 18 August 2015 at 21:03, Paul Ramsey <pramsey@cleverelephant.ca> wrote:

So I need a way to either (a) notice when I already have a (old) copy
of the library loaded and avoid trying to setup the GUC in that case
or (b) set-up the GUC in a somewhat less brittle way than
DefineCustomStringVariable() allows, something that can overwrite
things instead of just erroring out.

Are you trying to preserve the in-memory state across upgrade as well? It sounds unlikely we can support that directly in the general case.

Sounds like we need RedefineCustomStringVariable()