Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: RFC: Remove contrib entirely
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 29 May 2015 at 02:50, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
On 5/28/15 3:35 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> What we would need for this is an 'extensions' directory, or similar,
> and a clear definition of what the requirements are around getting into
> it are.  With that, we could decide for each module currently in contrib
> if it should go into the 'extensions' directory.  I'm not sure that we
> would necessairly have to remove the contrib module or any modules which
> are deemed to not be appropriate for the 'extensions' directory.

This seems reasonable to me.  It's in line with the recent move from
contrib to bin.  It'll just be quite a bit bigger of an undertaking.
(50 threads to discuss the merits of each module separately?)  Maybe
start by picking the top 5 and sort those out.

+1 for Extensions directory for 9.6

This doesn't seem worth delaying the release for.