Re: Read Uncommitted - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Read Uncommitted
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 at 12:42, Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 19.12.2019, 00:13 +0000 schrieb Simon Riggs:
> So the consensus is for a more-specifically named facility.
>
> I was aiming for something that would allow general SELECTs to run
> with a
> snapshot that can see uncommitted xacts, so making it a SRF wouldn't
> really
> allow that.

There's pg_dirtyread() [1] around for some while, implementing a SRF
for debugging usage on in normal circumstances disappeared data. Its
nice to not have worrying about anything when you faced with such kind
of problems, but for such use cases i think a SRF serves quite well.

[1] https://github.com/df7cb/pg_dirtyread

As an example of an SRF for debugging purposes, sure, but then we already had the example of pageinspect, which I wrote BTW, so wasn't unfamiliar with the thought.

Note that pg_dirtyread has got nothing to do with the use cases I described.

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise