Re: Bitmap index scans use of filters on available columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Bitmap index scans use of filters on available columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4 November 2015 at 16:14, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On 4 November 2015 at 15:54, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> We generate this plan
>  Index Scan using f_x_y_idx on f  (cost=0.42..26075.71 rows=209 width=37)
>    Index Cond: (x = 5)
>    Filter: (y ~~ '%abc%'::text)

> So it should be possible to do the Filter condition on the BitmapIndexScan.

You're missing my point: that is possible in an indexscan, but *not* in a
bitmap indexscan, because the index AM APIs are totally different in the
two cases.  In a bitmap scan, nothing more than a TID bitmap is ever
returned out to anyplace that could execute arbitrary expressions.

Still misunderstanding each other... sorry about that

If a btree can Filter y like that on an IndexScan, then it can also apply that Filter on y when it is looking through rows before it adds them to the bitmap.

I completely understand that it cannot return the value (of y) via the bitmap.

We should be able to get a plan like this

explain select * from f where x=5 and y like '%abc%';

                                  QUERY PLAN
 Bitmap Heap Scan on f  (cost=382.67..9314.72 rows=1 width=37)
   ->  Bitmap Index Scan on f_x_y_idx  (cost=0.00..382.67 rows=10433 width=0)
         Index Cond: (x = 5)
>>      Filter: (y ~~ '%abc%'::text)

if the bitmap stays non-lossy.

I see that plannodes.h says
"In a BitmapIndexScan plan node, the targetlist and qual fields are not used and are always NIL. "
but it doesn't say why.

Why can't the BitmapIndexScan execute arbitrary expressions? (or What did you mean by that phrase?)