Re: Reduce ProcArrayLock contention - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Reduce ProcArrayLock contention
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 30 June 2015 at 03:43, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Yes, I know. And we all had a long conversation about how to do it without
> waking up the other procs.
>
> Forming a list, like we use for sync rep and having just a single process
> walk the queue was the way I suggested then and previously.
>
> Weird.

I am not sure what your point is.  Are you complaining that you didn't
get a design credit for this patch?  If so, I think that's a bit
petty.  I agree that you mentioned something along these lines at
PGCon, but Amit and I have been discussing this every week for over a
month, so it's not as if the conversations at PGCon were the only
ones, or the first.  Nor is there a conspiracy to deprive Simon Riggs
of credit for his ideas.  I believe that you should assume good faith
and take it for granted that Amit credited who he believed that he got
his ideas from.  The fact that you may have had similar ideas does not
mean that he got his from you.  It probably does mean that they are
good ideas, since we are apparently all thinking in the same way.

Oh, I accept multiple people can have the same ideas. That happens to me a lot around here.

What I find weird is that the discussion was so intense about LWLockAcquireOrWait that when someone presented a solution there were people that didn't notice. It makes me wonder whether large group discussions are worth it.

What I find even weirder is the thought that there were another 100 people in the room and it makes me wonder whether others present had even better ideas but they don't speak up for some other reason. I guess that happens on-list all the time, its just we seldom experience the number of people watching our discussions. I wonder how many times people give good ideas and we ignore them, myself included.