Re: drop/truncate table sucks for large values of shared buffers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: drop/truncate table sucks for large values of shared buffers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 30 June 2015 at 07:34, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 30 June 2015 at 05:02, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > On 28 June 2015 at 17:17, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> >>
>> > If lseek fails badly then SeqScans would give *silent* data loss, which in my view is worse. Just added pages aren't the only thing we might miss if lseek is badly wrong.
>> >

>> So for the purpose of this patch, do we need to assume that
>> lseek can give us wrong size of file and we should add preventive
>> checks and other handling for the same?
>> I am okay to change that way, if we are going to have that as assumption
>> in out code wherever we are using it or will use it in-future, otherwise
>> we will end with some preventive checks which are actually not required.
>

> They're preventative checks. You always hope it is wasted effort.

I am not sure if Preventative checks (without the real need) are okay if they
are not-cheap which could happen in this case.  I think Validating buffer-tag
would require rel or sys cache lookup.

True, so don't do that.

Keep a list of dropped relations and have the checkpoint process scan the buffer pool every 64 tables, kinda like AbsorbFsync

All the heavy lifting gets done in a background process and we know we're safe.