Re: [HACKERS] Inefficient shutdown of pg_basebackup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Inefficient shutdown of pg_basebackup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 27 April 2017 at 05:31, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> The attached draft patch fixes this by expanding the StreamCtl API
> with a socket that the low-level wait routine should check for input.
> For me, this consistently knocks about 10 seconds off the runtime of
> 001_stream_rep.pl.

That is good. I noticed that delay many times.

> It could be argued that this isn't too significant in the real world
> because pg_basebackup would always run far longer than 10 seconds
> anyway for non-toy data.  But it still looks like a bug to me.

Not sure its a bug, but if it causes people to avoid running tests
then it is clearly a reliability issue.

I don't see anything to gain by waiting a year to apply this, so +1 to
move on it now.